Hailing from the sticky back woods of Richardson, Texas, Deaf Smith is lean, mean, Texas-style rock 'n' roll. 101 likes.
The free standing monument has a bust image of Smith at top with the following information etched in the stone: "Erastus (Deaf) Smith Born in Washington Dutchess County, New York April 19, 1797 Died in Richmond Fort Bend County, Texas Nov 30, 1837 He Married Guadalupe Ruiz De Duran Who Died In San Antonio May ? The “Deaf Smith” $5 bill was issued by the Republic of Texas, not the State of Texas. Deaf Smith County Deaf Smith Courthouse, 1910 Ghost Towns of Deaf Smith County Hereford Christian College Hereford High School La Plata Mackenzie Trail Mothers Park Palo Duro Baptist Church Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery Pioneer Windmill P. O. W. Camp Chapel Prisoner of War Camp Chapel Prisoner of War Camp Chapel Site of Great Cowboy Strike There was already an old structure on the land, when Byrd Lockhart surveyed the property in 1833.
Deaf Smith. October 22, 2014.
Deaf Smith County Library 211 E 4th St Hereford, … Deaf Smith County Historical Museum 400 Sampson Street PO Box 1007 Hereford, TX 79045 Telephone Number:806-363-7070 Website.
La Vernia loses historic tree. The Deaf Smith oak tree, where Smith spied on the Mexican troops, is located on this property, also. After Texas became a state, the Deaf Smith currency was worthless (except for collectors). In 1836, Guadalupe and Erastus Smith sold the lower portion of this grant, including the Cibolo Crossing to Byrd Lockhart.
The Revolution There is private property surrounding it, so please be respectful. The Deaf Smith Oak is located in La Vernia on the Circle-N Dairy. This was issued before Texas became a state in the US, and also before the Civil War (or the War of Northern Aggression, depending on which side you support).
Deaf Smith County Genealogical Society 211 East 4th St. Hereford 79045. It’s best to view this famous tree from the road. Postcard image of the Deaf Smith Monument in Richmond, Texas. Children across Texas have heard the story during history lessons, how Erastus “Deaf” Smith climbed a live oak tree in October 1835, spied on Mexican troops camped along the Cibolo Creek, and reported back to Stephen F. Austin’s army of Texians. 1849. Learn more about the oak tree grown from an acorn of the Deaf Smith tree La Vernia Historical Association Posted on May 6, 2018 by Elaine Stephens May 6, 2018 Download the handout we shared at the dedication ceremony for the bench donated by the La Vernia Garden Club and placed under the historic tree grown from an acorn of the Deaf Smith tree . Community & News / La Vernia News.